I am now at Seoul National University. For my current website, please click here
H. C. Wang Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematics,
593 Malott Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, NY, 14853-4201
Work phone: (607) 255-7113, Fax: (607) 255-7149
Spring 2009:Math 7520, Bernstein Seminar in Topology and Geometric Group Theory
Spring 2009:Math 4320, Introduction to Algebra
Fall 2008 : Math 618, Ergodic Theory
Research Interest : geometric group theory & dynamics
- Dynamics of group actions on trees and buildings, more generally metric spaces of non-positive curvature
- Lattices of Lie groups and automorphism groups of trees and polyhedral complexes, commensurator subgroups, etc.
- Entropy rigidity
- Commensurator growth (joint work with Nir Avni and Eran Nevo), in preparation.
- Volume entropy for buildings (joint work with F. Ledrappier), preprint.
ps (2008.10, revised(improved to include all regular buildings) 2009.7)
- A proof of a L1/2 ergodic theorem (joint work with F. Ledrappier).
pdf, ps (2006.12)
- Counting overlattices for polyhedral complexes (joint work with A. Thomas), submitted for publication.
ps (revised 2007.11)
- Covering theory for complexes of groups (joint work with A. Thomas), J. Pure Appl. Algebra 212 (2008) 1632--1663.
- Minimal volume entropy for graphs, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 360 (2008), 5089-5100. abstract, pdf, ps
- Counting overlattices in automorphism groups of trees, Geom. Dedicata, Vol. 118 (2006), no. 1, pp. 1-21. abstract,
Upcoming and Recent Conferences Organized
Upcoming and Recent Talks
- Examples of Groups, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH (May 11-14, 2009).
- Cornell Topology Festival, Ithaca, NY (May 4, 2009).
- Workshop in rigidity, part of Cornell Topology Festival, Ithaca, NY (May 1, 2009).
- Joint Mathematics meeting, AMS Special Session on Group Actions on Homogeneous Spaces and Applications, Washington, D.C. (January 5, 2009)
- Colloquium, Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon, South Korea (December 10, 2008)
- Dynamics of Group Actions Seminar, Yale University (November 10, 2008)
- Summer School on Quasiconformal analysis and boundaries of hyperbolic groups, Bloomington, Indiana (August 14, 2008) (on the quasi-isometry rigidity result of Bourdon and Pajot, lecture notes)
- Geometry Seminar, University of Athens, Athens, Greece (August 4, 2008)
- Analysis and Geometry on Groups Seminar, University Paris 7, Paris, France (July 23, 2008)
- Geometry Seminar, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland (July 9, 2008)
- Minicourse on Graphs of Groups and Complexes of Groups, Univ. of Neuchatel, Switzerland (June 2, 9, 16, 23, 2008)
- Geometry and Dynamics Seminar, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, France (June 18, 2008)
- Conference on Analysis, Geometry and Dynamics on Groups, Neuchatel, Switzerland (June 13, 2008)
- Conference on Discrete Groups and Geometric Structures with Applications, Kortrijk, Belgium (May 29, 2008)
- Dynamics Seminar, Northwestern University (May 13, 2008)
- AMS Spring Eastern Sectional Meeting, Special Session on Geometric Topology, Courant Institute (Mar. 15-16, 2008)
- Topology and Geometric Group Theory Seminar, Cornell University (Feb. 26, 2008)
- Geometry and Topology Seminar, SUNY Buffalo (Feb. 22, 2008)
- Geometry and Topology Seminar, Binghamton University (February 21, 2008)