2014 Freshman Prize Information
2014 Rochester Olympiad Information
The 2013 Putnam is Saturday Dec 7. from 10 to 1 and 3 to 6
in Malott 251. (We'll serve a pizza lunch in between.)Since there are
administrative details related to identification numbers that need
to be taken care of beforehand, people should arrive by 9:45 am.
A very nice Putnam preparation book is
Putnam and Beyond
by Razvan Gelca and Titu
Andreescu. On campus, just clicking the above link will get you to
the book. Off campus, the following webpages from the Cornell library
explain how Cornell Community members can access the book as well:
Other good problem books available this way as well as information
about the whole range of newly accessible materials are in the electronic links below:
The Math Library has the following (physical) books on reserve during the Fall
in a Putnam Section:
Putnam and Beyond/ Gelca, Razvan, Andreescu, Titu (Our Prime Reference)
The William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition problems, solutions, and commentary : 1985-2000 /Kedlaya, Poonen, Vakil (Beautifully Put Together)
Problem-solving strategies / Engel (Very Valuable )
Problem solving through problems /Larson, Loren C. (Very Valuable)
102 Combinatorial Problems/Andreescu, Titu
103 Trigonometry Problems/Andreescu
104 Number Theory Problems : from the training of the USA IMO team / Andreescu, Titu
A First Step to Mathematical Olympiads/ Holton
A Second Step to Mathematical Olympiad Problems/ Holton
Cauchy-Schwarz Master Class : an introduction to the art of mathematical inequalities / Steele, J. Michael
Complex Numbers from A to Z/ Andreescu
Differential Equations : A dynamical systems approach / Hubbard, John H.
Geometric Problems on Maxima and Minima / Andreescu, Titu
Index to Mathematical Problems, 1975-1979 / Rabinowitz
Index to Mathematical Problems, 1980-1984 / Rabinowitz
Mathematical Olympiad Challenges/Andreescu
Number Theory Structures, Examples, and Problems/Andreescu
Polynomials / Barbeau, Edward
Primer for Mathematics Competitions/ Zawaira
The Red Book of Mathematical Problems/ Williams, Kenneth
The William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition : problems and solutions, 1938-1964 /Gleason
The William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition Problems and Solutions: 1965-1984/Alexanderson
Practice Putnam Exam 2010
Practice Putnam Exam 2008
2013's Putnam practices will be organized by
Prof. Fontaine, Prof. Shokrieh, and Dr. Back.
Last Update: Feb. 6, 2014
is one way to be added to our
Putnam preparation mailing list and registered for the exam.
One of the most beautiful Putnam preparation books is the 1985-2000 collection
by Kiran S. Kedlaya, Bjorn Poonen, and Ravi Vakil. Available from the MAA
or e.g. Amazon.
- William Lowell Putnam Competition Archive Backup Site
- Excellent source for solutions 1995-present. (Backup Site Identified Nov 2013.)
- John Scholes Putnam Problems
- Huge and amazingly complete, but with rephrasings due to copyright needs, and often brief solutions.
- (Original Link no longer working but there is the Wayback machine.)
- Wayback Machine with Archives of the Web from the Past
- John Scholes IMO site.
- International Math Olympiad Problems are sometimes at a similar level to Putnam ones.
- (Link no longer working)
- Currently Working Copy of John Scholes Site
- Dave Rusin's Putnam Page
- Official Awards Site
- Official Website for Putnam Competition
- American Mathematical Monthly via JSTOR
- Archives here contain annual writeups (e.g. Oct. 85-87, 89, 93-98) of the competition. More months listed here.
- Prof. Kahan's Berkeley Preparation Notes
- Many years worth in one place.
- International Mathematics Competition
for University Students
- Canadian IMO Site
- IMO Compendium
- IMO Compendium Olympiad Training Materials
- Putnam Fellow
- from the Wikipedia. Includes some interesting historical information.
- E-mail to
- will be forwarded to this year's local organizers.
(Bruce Fontaine, Farbod Shokrieh, Allen Back)