MATH 5080: Special Study for Teachers (aka "Saturday Workshops for Teachers")
Since 1985, during each academic year the Cornell Mathematics Department has offered a series of four full-day workshops for secondary mathematics teachers. Other people who are interested in issues related to the teaching and learning of secondary mathematics (e.g., mathematics pre-service teachers, mathematics undergraduate and graduate students, and mathematicians) are also welcome to attend. During workshop sessions participants examine principles underlying the content of the secondary school mathematics curriculum, including connections with the history of mathematics, technology, and mathematics education research. Contact the instructor, Mary Ann Huntley, for more information.
Workshop Schedule and Topics
Participation at one workshop is not prerequisite to attending another.
- September 23, 2017 (agenda) - Cutting, Pasting, and the Difficulties of Counting (Inna Zakharevich), The Decimal System and Other Ways to Represent Numbers (Julia Gordon), The Mathematics of Queueing Theory (Jamol Pender), Beware of the Bombardier Beetle (Richard Rand)
- November 11, 2017 (agenda) - Tablecloth Math (Beverly West), TI Tips for Building Math Confidence and Regents Success (Dana Morse)
- March 10, 2018 (poster) - Ensuring Success for All in Secondary Mathematics, (W. Gary Martin & Marilyn Strutchens, Auburn University.
- April 7, 2018 (agenda) - Jody Magner & Sue McMillen (SUNY-Buffalo State, Mathematics Department) have recently been recognized for their work with ~100 teachers and 14 administrators from Buffalo schools that resulted in improved student test scores. Come learn from this amazing team of mathematics educators!
Please sign up by Thursday March 1st if you wish to attend the March 10th workshop, and Friday March 24th if you wish to attend the April 7th workshop.
Registration, Credit, and Costs
There are two options for receiving credit for MATH 5080:
- Teachers may receive 1 Cornell University graduate credit for attending 3 of the 4 workshops offered during an academic year by filling out an enrollment form and paying a $100 registration fee. Send your check and completed enrollment form directly to the Office of Continuing Education (B20 Day Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853-4201).
- Teachers qualify for 5½ in-service hours per workshop. For this option, there is no cost for attending the workshops.
- Agendas, Handouts, and Links Related to Recent Workshops
- Visitor Parking Map — Free parking on Saturdays is available on campus along Tower Road and also in the parking garage that is two blocks away from Malott Hall.
Please tell us if you're coming!
The registration deadline for the March 10th workshop is March 1st.
The registration deadline for the April 7th workshop is March 24th.
The following information is required: