Add/Drop for Spring 2017 Classes

If you are having difficulty adding or changing a math class, please read on to learn about enrollment restrictions, what to do when a class is full, and who to contact for help. Unless the course is listed in the catalog as “permission of instructor,” the instructor can not give you permission to enroll.

For guidance in selecting an appropriate course, please consult First Steps in Math, your faculty advisor, or director of undergraduate studies Ed Swartz.

Add/Drop Calendar

Spring 2017 Class StandingAdd/Drop StartsLast Day to AddLast Day to Drop or
Change Grade Option
Graduate and
professional students
January 17 February 8 March 22*
Seniors January 17 February 8 March 22*
Juniors January 18 February 8 March 22*
Sophomores January 19 February 8 March 22*
First-Years January 20 February 8 March 22*

*Due to the University closure resulting from the recent winter storm, the deadline to drop or change grading basis for all regular session classes and first-year writing seminars has been extended through Monday, March 27th.  After March 27th, students may petition to withdraw from a course through April 28. If approved, a "W" will appear on the transcript.

Enrollment Restrictions

If you are a senior looking to fulfill a math requirement and are having trouble enrolling in one of these courses, please consider your other options (sooner rather than later). Contact Ed Swartz if you need help finding an available course.

  • MATH 1106 (Calculus for the Life and Social Sciences) is limited to 30 students per discussion. Students who are unable to add MATH 1106 are encouraged to consider MATH 1110.
  • MATH 1340 (Math and Politics) is limited to 50 students/lecture. The pre-enrollment restriction (Arts & Sciences students only) has been lifted. Spaces that remain and those that open up due to drops are available on a first-come, first-served basis to students in all colleges. Check for openings several times a day if you are determined to add the course, but know that MATH 1340 is a very popular course and some interested students may not be able to enroll. Please have a back-up plan in case you are unsuccessful.
  • MATH 1710 (Statistical Theory & Application) is limited to 25 students/discussion. Students who are unable to add MATH 1710 should consider AEM 2100, ILRST/STSCI 2100, or PAM 2100. (See also First Steps in Math: Introductory Statistics.)
  • MATH 3340 (Abstract Algebra) is limited to 35 students. Students who are unable to add MATH 3340 are encouraged to consider MATH 3360 (Applicable Algebra). The content of the two courses is similar.

What To Do When a MATH Class is Full

If the section you want is full on Student Center and other sections are available, you may need to adjust the rest of your schedule to make room for an available math class, or you may need to reconsider taking an early morning or evening class if they are available.  If the entire course is full (and not listed above as restricted), the Math Department will likely raise the enrollment caps soon.  Check Student Center again a little later.

In the early part of the add/drop period, students make a lot of changes to their schedules, so sections may open and close several times due to adds and drops. If you are interested in a specific time that is currently closed, you may find an opening if you check several times throughout the day. After a day or two, if you still don’t find an opening, you should consider your other options or ask for help if you are unable to enroll on your own in a required class.

Who to Contact for Enrollment Help

Contact Heather Peterson for assistance with 1000-/2000-level courses or Michelle Klinger for assistance with 3000-level courses and above. If you send email, please include your name, college, class standing, and any details you consider to be relevant to your situation.

The Mathematics Department will assist you if you are unable to resolve a conflict between a required math course and another required course for your degree; however, if changing your first-year writing seminar or PE class is possible and will resolve the conflict, then you should resolve the conflict on your own rather than seeking an accommodation for your math class.

Independent Study (MATH 4900 and 4901)

Students who wish to take MATH 4900 (research) or MATH 4901 (reading course) must fill out an independent study form after meeting with the proposed faculty supervisor to discuss the goals and expectations of the project.